Volume: 34, Issue: 2, June 2021
Print ISSN : 0970-4078.
Online ISSN : 2229-4473.
Pub Email: email@example.com
Doi Link: https://doi.org/10.1007/s42535-021-00215-z
First Page: 422
Last Page: 431
Published: 13 April, 2021
Changes in Madhuca latifolia Macbride seed oil content and quality upon storage at different duration and condition
Madhuca latifolia Macbride (commonly known as Mahua) is an important multipurpose tree with great socioeconomic relevance. The post-harvest spoilage of fruits and seeds due to improper handling and filthy storage conditions is a major limitation to quality oil products. Therefore, a study was carried out to find the best storage medium and optimum duration to retain better oil content and other oil quality parameters. In order to evaluate the change in oil content and other quality parameters, the extracted and pre-treated mahua seeds were stored in 3 container bags (polythene, plastic and jute), kept under two storage environment (light and dark) and subjected to two air exposure (closed and open condition) were monitored at a monthly interval till 180 days. The oil content, saponification value and iodine value of the stored seeds were decreased with time while specific gravity, acid value and free fatty acid in the stored seeds increased. The oil content during storage was in order of polythene bag (44.09%) > cotton bag (42.78%) > plastic bag (33.89%). The closed plastic container exposed to light was the best storage method for retaining higher oil content. On the other hand, closed polythene bag kept in dark was the best storage method for retaining higher saponification value and this treatment combination is suggested to be good for soap industry.
Food value, Mahua seed oil content, Saponification value, Iodine value
- Abduh MY, Manurung R, Heeres HJ (2016) The influence of storage time on relevant product properties of rubber seeds, rubber seed oil and rubber seed oil ethyl esters. Sustain Chem Process 4:1–9
- Abduh MY, Syaripudin PLW, Manurung R (2019) Effect of storage time on moisture content of Reutealistri sperma seed and its effect on acid value of the isolated oil and produced biodiesel. Energy Rep 5:1375–1380
- Abulude F, Ogunkoya M, Ogunleye R (2007) Storage properties of oils of two Nigerian oil seeds Jatropha curcas (physic nut) and Helianthus annuus (sunflower). Amer J Food Technol 2:207–211
- Ahmadkhan M, Shahidi F (2007) Oxidative stability of stripped and no stripped Borage and evening primorose. Oil and their emulsions in water. J Amer Oil Chem Soc 77:963–968
- Anderson K, Lingnert H (1998) Influence of oxygen and copper concentration on lipid oxidation in rapeseed oil. J Amer Oil Chem Soc 75:1041–1046
- A.O.A.C. (1970) Offical method of analysis XI Edn. Association of official analytical chemists, Washington D. C
- Atabani AE, Silitonga AS, Ong HCC, Mahlia TMIMI, Masjuki HHH, Badrudding IA, Fayaz H (2013) Non-edible oils: a critical evaluation of soil extraction, fatty acid composition, biodiesel production, characteristic, engine performance and emission production. Renew Sustain Energy 18:211–245. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2012.10.013
- BalaSevic-Tubic SD, Malencic MT, Miladinonic J (2005) Influence of aging process on biochemical changes in sunflower seed. Helia 28:107–114
- Balesevic-Tubic S, Tatic M, Miladinovic J, Pucarevic M (2007) Changes of fatty acids content and vigor of sunflower seeds during natural ageing. Helia 30(47):61–67
- Basha SM, Pancholy SK (1986) Qualitative and quantitative changes in the protein composition of peanut (Arachis hypogaea L.) seed following infestation with Aspergillus spp. differing in aflatoxin production. J Agric Food Chem 34:638–643
- Behera S, Swain MR (2013) A survey of post-harvest spoilage of mahua (Madhuca latifolia L.) flowers. J Agric Technol 9(1):227–235
- Bisht V, Neeraj VKS, Dalal N (2018) Mahua an important Indian species: a review. J Pharmacognosy Phytochem 7(2):3414–3418
- Bora DK, Das LM, Babu MKG (2009) Storage stability of Mahua oil methyl ester. J Sci Industrial Res 68:149–152
- Bukola AOC, Francis GA, Patience A, Olalekan OA (2015) Effects of different storage temperature on the physicochemical properties of cooking oils available in Nigeria markets. Eur J Acad Essays 2:7–14
- Chandrika S (2019) Studies on drying characteristic and storage of Mahua flower. M.Sc Dissertation, Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology, Bhubaneswar, p. 62
- Chen XC, Ahn DU (1998) Antioxidant activities of six natural phenolic against lipid oxidation induced by Fe+2 or ultraviolet light. J Amer Oil Chem Soc 75:1717–1721 (Corpus ID:55364756)
- Dannemiller KC, Weschler CJ, Peccia J (2017) Fungal and bacterial growth in floor dust at elevated relative humidity levels. Indoor Air 27:354–363
- Delgado A, Al-Hamimi S, Ramadan MF, Wit MD, Durazzo A, Nyam KL, Issaoui M (2020) Contribution of tocols to food sensorial properties, stability, and overall quality. J Food Quality, vol 2020, Article ID 8885865, 2020; p. 8. https://doi.org/10.1155/2020/8885865
- DellaPenna D, Pogson BJ (2006) Vitamin synthesis in plants: tocoherils and carotenoids. Ann Rev Plant Biol 57(1):711–738
- De Souza RJ, Mente A, Maroleanu A, Cozma AI, Ha V, Kishibe T et al (2015) Intake of saturated and trans unsaturated fatty acids and risk of all cause mortality, cardiovascular disease, and type 2 diabetes: systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies. Brit Medl J 351:h3978
- Dziedzic SZ, Hudson BJ (1983) Polyhydroxychalcones and flavanones as antioxidants for edible oils. Food Chem 12:205–212
- Eghbaliferiz S, Iranshahi M (2016) Prooxidant activity of polyphenols, flavonoids, anthocyanins and carotenoids: updated review of mechanisms and catalyzing metals. Phytotherapy Res 30:1379–1391. https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.5643
- Endo Y (2013) Analytical methods to evaluate the quality of edible fats and oils: the JOCS standard methods for analysis of fats, oils and related materials and advanced methods. J Oleo Sci 67:1–10
- Fernande GH, Hell K, Akissoe N, Coulibaly O, Fandohan P, Hounhouigan J (2011) Effect of storage conditions on microbiological and physicochemical quality of shea butter. J Food Sci Technol 48:274–279
- Gaikwad RD, Ahmed ML, Khalid MS, Swamy P (2009) Anti-inflammatory activity of Madhuca longifolia seed saponin mixture. Pharm Biol 47(7):592–597. https://doi.org/10.1080/13880200902902513
- German JB, Dillard CJ (2004) Saturated fats: what dietary intake? Amer J Clin Nutr 80:550–559
- Gupta A, Chaudhary R, Sharma S (2012) Potential applications of Mahua (Madhuca indica) biomass. Waste Biomass Volarization; 3: 175–189. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1007/s12649-012-9107-9
- Issaoui M, Delgado AM (2019) Grading, labeling and standardization of edible oils. In: Ramadan M, eds Fruit oils: chemistry and functionality. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-12473-1_2.
- Keller UV (2018) Seed preparation. In AOCS lipid library, oils and fats. http://lipidlibrary.aocs.org/OilsFats/content.cfm? Item Number =40335. Accessed 22 Mar 2018.
- Li Y, Hruby A, Bernstein AM, Ley SH, Wang DD, Chiuve SE et al (2015) Saturated fats compared with unsaturated fats and sources of carbohydrates in relation to risk of coronary heart disease: a prospective cohort study. J Amer College Cardiol 66:1538–1548
- Mahajan UN, Mahapatra DK, Mahajan NM, Kazi FS, Baghel N (2017) Exploring the role of mahua oil as potent emulsifier in certain formulations. Int J Herb Med 5(3):93–97
- Mahajan UN, Mahapatra DK, Mahajan NM, Kazi FS, Baghel N (2018) Mahua oil containing suppository base exhibited higher drug release as compared to cocoa butter base. Int J Pharmacognosy 5(5):308–312
- Martin S, Anon MS (2005) Storage and sunflower seed: variation on the wax content of the oil. Eur J Lip Sci Technol 107:74–79
- Marcondes da Silva V, Santos MR, Alves Silva IR, Macedo Viana EB, Dos Anjos DA, Santos IA, Barbosa de Lima NG, Wobeto C, Jorge N, Lannes SC (2021) Synthetic and natural antioxidants used in the oxidative stability of edible oils: an overview. Food Rev Intl. https://doi.org/10.1080/87559129.2020.1869775
- McDonold MB, Copeland LO (1997) Tree seeds. In: McDonald MB et al, eds Seed Production. p. 686–717. Springer Science Dordrecht.
- Morello JR, Motilva MJ, Tovar MJ, Romero MP (2004) Changes in commercial virgin olive oil (CV Arbequina) during storage with special emphasis on the phenolic fraction. J Food Chem 85:357–364
- Mrabet A, Araujo AJ, Guillen-Bejarano R, Rodriguez-Arcos R, Sindic M (2020) Date seeds: a promising source of oil with functional properties. Foods 9:787. https://doi.org/10.3390/foods9060787
- Murthy UN, Sun WQ (2000) Protein modification by Amodori and Maillard reactions during seed storage: roles of sugar hydrolysis and lipid peroxidation. J Exp Bot 51(348):1221–1228
- Nayak S, Sahoo UK (2020) Contribution of Mahua (Madhuca latifolia Macq) to household economy in Odisha. Environ Ecol 38:204–207
- Natasha C, Kandawa-Schulz M, Böck R, Cheikhyoussef A (2020) Cold pressed Moringa oleifera seed oil, In: Ramadan M. F. (eds), Cold Pressed Oils, Academic Press, 2020, pp. 467–475, ISBN 9780128181881. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-818188-1.00042-6.
- Nowakoska J, Rakowski K (2002) Accelerated and natural ageing processes change the properties of plasma membrane in Norway spruce (Picea abies (L.) Karst.) seeds during storage. Dendrobiology 47.
- Okparanta S, Daminabo V, Solomon L (2018) Assessment of rancidity and other physicochemical properties of edible oils (mustard and corn oils) stored at room temperature. J Food Sci Nutr 6:70–75
- Patel M (2008) Biochemical investigation of fresh mahu (Madhuca indica) flowers for nutraceutical. Ph.D Thesis Centre for Rural Development and Technology, Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi
- Puhan S, Vedaraman N, Ram BVB, Sankarnarayan G, Jeychandran K (2005) Mahua oil (Madhuca indica seed oil) methyl ester as biodiesel preparation and emission characteristics. Biomass Bioenergy 28:87–93
- Raheman H, Ghadge SV (2007) Performance of compression ignition engine with Mahua (Madhuca indica) biodiesel. Fuel 86:2568–2573
- Ramadan MF, Wagdi Abdel-Hamed EM (2020) Health-promoting potential and nutritional value of Madhuca longifolia seeds. Nuts and seeds in health and disease prevention, pp. 229–237. https://doi.org/10.1016/b978-0-12-818553-7.00017-6.
- Ramadan MF, Mohdaly AAA, Assiri AMA, Tadros M, Niemeyer B (2016) Functional characteristics, nutritional value and industrial application of Madhuca longifolia seeds: an overview. J Food Sci Technol 53(5):2149–2157
- Ramadan MF, Sharanabasappa G, Parmjyothi S, Seshagri M, Moersel J-T (2006) Profile and levels of fatty acids and bioactive constitutents in mahua butter from fruit seeds of butter cup tree (Madhuca longifolia). Eur Food Res Technol 222:710–718
- Reddy MK, Rani HD, Deepika CN, Samrawat S, Akshara V, rajesh K, (2017) Study on physicochemical properties of oil and power of date palm seeds (Phoenix dactylifera). Int J Curr Microbiol Appl Sci 6:486–492
- Rout S, Nayak S (2015) Influence of storage condition and duration on oil content of Pongamia pinnata L. Pierre seeds. Online International Interdisciplinary. Res J V 139–144.
- Saravanan N, Nagaranjan G, Puhan S (2010) Experimental investigation on a DI diesel engine fuelled with Madhuca india ester and diesel blend. Biomass Bioenergy 34:839–843
- Sashikumar C, Pradhan RC, Mishra S (2018) Characterization of Madhuca longifolia seed in relation to processing and design of equipment. Quality Assurance Safety Crops Foods 10(3):215–221. https://doi.org/10.3920/QAS2017.1075
- Shadangi KP, Mohanty K (2016) Stability analysis of Mahua seed and waste polystryrene co-pyrolytic oil. Int J Renew Energy Commercialization. https://doi.org/10.37628/jrec.v.2i1.95
- Sherwin E (1978) Oxidation and antioxidants in fat and oil processing. J Amer Oil Chem Soc 55:809–814
- Silitonga AS, Atabani AE, Mahila TMI, Masjuki HH, Badruddin IA, Mekhilef S (2011) A review on the prospect of Jatropha curcas for biodiesel in Indonesia. Renew Sustain Energ Rev 15:3733–3756
- Singh J, Parpoha S, Mishra RP (2017) Factors affecting oil seed quality during storage with special reference tp soybean (Glycine max) and niger (Guizotia abyssinica) seeds. Int J Curr Microbial App Sci 6(10):2215–2216. https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2017.610.262
- Steward RRC, Bewley JD (1980) Lipid peroxidation associated with accelerated ageing of soybean saxes. Plant Physiol 65:245–248
- Sunita M, Sarojini P (2013) Madhuca latifolia (Sapotaceae): a review of its traditional uses and nutritional properties. Int J Human Social Sci Invent 2(5):30–36
- Trawatha SE, Tekrony DM, Hildebrand DF (1995) Relationship on soybean quality to fatty acid and C aldehyde levels during storage. Crop Sci 35:1415–1422
- Varghese B, Naithani R, Dulbo MS, Naithani SC (2002) Seed storage behavior of Madhuca indica J.P.Gmel. Seed Sci Technol 30:107–117
- Verma SS, Tomer RPS, Verma U (2003) Loss of viability and vigor in Indian mustard seeds stored under ambient conditions. Seed Res 31(1):98–101
- Xiu-Qin L, Chao J, Yan-Yan S, Min-Li Y, Xiao-Gang C (2009) Analysis of synthetic antioxidants and preservatives in edible vegetable oil by HPLC/TOF-MS. Food Chem 113:692–700
- Yadav S, Suneja P, Hussain Z, Abraham Z, Mishra SK (2011a) Prospects and potential of Madhuca longifolia (Koenig) J.F. Macbride for nutritional and industrial purpose. Biomass Bioenergy 35:1539–1544
- Yadav S, Suneja P, Hussain Z, Abraham Z, Mishra SK (2011b) Genetic variability and divergence studies in seed and oil parameters of mahua (Madhuca longifolia Koenig) J.F Macbride accessions. Biomass Bioenergy 35:1773–1778
- Leung D, Koo B, Guo Y (2006) Degradation of biodiesel under different storage conditions. Bioresource Technol 97(2):250–256
Department of Forestry, School of Earth Sciences and Natural Resource Management, Mizoram University, Aizawl, India